Our client an NHS Trust in the South East of England is looking to appoint an Interim Assistant Trust Solicitor ASAP for 3 months in the first instance. This role will be at interim contractor rates under the CCS NMNC Framework at 8b.
- To provide the Trust with expert legal and practical advice in the area of healthcare law requiring the highest level of analytical and judgement skills with the ability to clearly communicate highly contentious, highly complex and highly sensitive information in a demanding environment that is frequently emotive and patient focused.
- To work autonomously by providing authoritative legal advice often on an urgent or emergency 24 hour on-call basis, including but not limited to, child and adult protection cases, consent, disclosure of highly sensitive confidential information to police, defendants and the courts.
- Research and precedents and legal updates to support the senior management team to apply to the unique and complex legal scenarios arising within one of the largest and most diverse Acute Teaching Hospitals.
- Devise and lead on training to senior clinicians and managers in relation to healthcare law.
- To be responsible for the management of clinical negligence claims against the Trust and fully comply with relevant protocols, legislation and NHSLA guidelines.
- Review settled claims to ensure learning is identified and actions implemented that will help reduce the value of future settlements and the number of future claims. Report learning and trends from claims quarterly to the Trust Board and Divisional Directors and as requested.
- Manage a portfolio of contentious inquest cases, providing expert legal advice and support to clinicians summoned to provide evidence.
- Law Degree with Post graduate diploma in legal practice (LPC)
- Professional Qualification Postgraduate Qualification
- Admission to the Roll of Solicitors/Bar Council
- Profound experience with handling medico-legal claims, to include inquests.
- Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge within the specialized field of Health Law, including litigation, inquests and general advice on protection of interests of medical staff and NHS Trusts
- Extensive experience working at a senior level in a large, complex and dynamic organization, and a record of development of an effective legal service within that organization
- Professional knowledge and understanding of:-
legal processes, procedures, documentation and terminology.
Serious Incident Management/Investigation
Complaints handling process
For further details on this role, please email Toni Coates on firstname.lastname@example.org