The Finegreen Group are working in partnership with a Local Authority in London that requires a Senior Finance Analyst to join their Finance Team.
This role will report into the Head of Finance and the post holder will be responsible for providing specialist and senior financial and accounting support to a substantial area of the council's business, typically a major part of the budget for an overall department or a substantial defined technical area of the corporate accounting and control arrangements.
The role involves supporting all officers within their service area, providing them with high level professional advice on a very broad range of financial issues and their relation to the council's corporate and managerial objectives and the successful candidate will provide significant and senior input to corporate financial processes such as co-ordinating major elements of the annual accounts or budgeting processes.
You will be responsible to advise on and maintain appropriate financial controls and to challenge senior managers as necessary in this regard and to be a professional role model to junior staff in the department and to foster and champion professional development.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve objectives;
- Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability;
- Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations;
- Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards;
- To mentor and support apprentices and lead professional training for the department within own area of responsibility;
- To be the senior professional financial advisor in respect of a significant (e.g. gross budgets in excess of £100m) area of the council's budget (for example, housing, schools, social care or other business areas of similar scale and complexity);
- To carry out, independently, unit costing exercises and value for money reviews in order to improve financial performance and to play a significant role in the setting and monitoring of substantial budgets;
- To be council's professional accounting lead for a major area of technical financial accounting complexity (e.g. capital finance, collection fund etc) and to co-ordinate complex corporate financial processes for the council;
- To lead in statutory financial reporting within own area of responsibility, ensuring that annual accounts, government returns and similar statistical submissions are completed promptly and accurately, and that the financial implications of the information contained therein are understood and acted upon;
- To draft financial implications for formal committee reports, up to and including for Cabinet and to brief senior managers and Directors accordingly;
- To advise on and maintain effective systems of financial control and to intervene as necessary, with a high degree of professional integrity and credibility, to prevent breaches of financial control;
- To manage operational/transactional functions, for example payroll, pensions and HR management information;
- To provide senior financial analysis to support commercial and contract activities, including advising on contract terms, commercial negotiations and contractors' financial position.
The successful candidate will have;
- CCAB Qualified Accountant with significant post qualification experience;
- Evidence of significant relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD);
- Experience of providing financial advice and leadership in a large and complex organisation, working with a high degree of professional independence and integrity;
- Experience of advising on managing all aspects of large and complex budgets, delivering significant improvements as a result;
- Experience of preparing accounting statements and statutory statistical returns;
- Experience of contracting for services, providing financial and commercial advice to inform procurement strategy and negotiations;
- Manage people, performance and budgets;
- Ability to analyse, interpret and report upon large amounts of complex financial, accounting and output information and to analyse complex business processes;
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to explain complex financial issues to non-financial managers, Directors and Members, adapting style to suit the audience and the issue;
- Ability to analyse and interpret legislation and regulation, and to develop strategic policy responses accordingly;
- Strong leadership skills, capable of motivating and inspiring junior staff and building effective working relationships at senior levels across the organisation and with partners.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a leading local authority in a challenging and rewarding role. If you have the above experience and would like to discuss this role further, please contact Zoe Allen at Finegreen on 0161 416 6086 or forward an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org